Labels

Bluejackets (11) CBJ (11) Central Ohio (5) OSU (3) Browns (1) Concerts (1) Dispatch (1) Foo Fighters (1) Football (1) IT (1) NFL (1)

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Your 2011-2012 Columbus Bluejackets

So now that the dust seems to have settled, I figured I would throw my projected lines out for critique, or since no one is reading this, for my own critique.

Prospal-Carter-Nash
Umberger-Brassard-Calvert
Kubalik-Johanson-Vermette
Boll-Paulson-Dorsett
Mackenzie
Mayorov

Tyutin-Wiz
Methot-Martinik
Holden-Clitsome
Russell

Mason
Dekanich

PP:
Umberger-Carter-Nash
Tyutin-Wiz

Calvert-Johansen-Prospal
Brassard-Clitsome

PK:
Paulson-Mayorov
Umberger-Vermette
Nash-Carter

Methot-Martinik
Holden-Tyutin


This is about as close to 3 scoring lines as we can get without giving up too much on the defensive side. I was tempted to put Cam Atkinson on the roster, but I think they will let him get a little more experience in the AHL. If he does impress enough to make the team out of camp, I see it being at Calvert's expense, and slotting onto that second line as the finisher. He will see time this season. If Johanson makes the team (I believe he will), they would be smart to put him on a line with either Umberger or Vermette to cover for him. Those two would be interchangeable since both are playing wing. I would think you might see Dorsett spot up into that third scoring line as well. When Juice returns I think you see Kubalik sent back to Springfield. Even if Cam makes the team, Mayorov may make it anyways because of the need to have more gritty PK-type forwards.

On the bright side, this is the first year I could ever say that we have too many centers. Good problem to have, we are stacked with people who can play the pivot. We should score a lot more this year, or at least finish on more opportunities. Probably the best offensive group we have ever had.

On defense, I think this is the way they start out. However, they will juggle within about 10 games, moving Methot to the top line and Tyutin paired with Martinik when he has his inevitable early season brain fart. Goloubef and Savard are the first call-ups from Springfield. Moore is given another full season to improve his game.

The D is still a critical player away from being a good group. We need some of our internal players to step up. Meth has to keep building on last year. Tyutin has to be "mid-season Tyutin" more than he is "turnover-machine" Tyutin. This is Russell's last chance, if he doesn't show more this year I think he is dealt sometime during the season. Lots of potential, but he just never seems to break out. I am looking for one of the prospects to really push for time this season (probably Savard), and eventually take over a low pairing spot. If everyone improves, and Wiz and Martinik earn their money, this could be a decent group. Not a Cup-contending group, but decent. Lots of growth potential from within as well.

As many have already said, the key to this season is Mason. The defense in front of him is not going to lead the league in GAA, so he is going to get more consistent. He doesn't have to lead the league in shutouts or save percentage, just be a decent, middle tier goalie. 2.5 GAA and around a .910 SVG would be enough. I am in wait and see mode with Dekanich. I like what I have heard, but we will have to see how he does with the big boys. Goal tending is probably the biggest question mark heading into the season.

I think this is a playoff team. If the goal tending is good I think they are a team that can make some noise in the playoffs. The defense isn't championship caliber yet. I see us finishing in the lower half of the playoff brackets (5-8). Injuries could change that, especially on the defensive side. I just don't see the NHL depth to cover for any extended absences from our D core.

I could keep going, but I have to pace myself. Still have about 7 weeks until training camp opens!

2 comments:

  1. I agree, there's much more here to work with than we're used to! Can't wait for the start of camp to see things begin to take shape on the ice. I hope you keep up with your posts, here and on the boards - the more the merrier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a lurker on the HFboards and I happily found your blog linked in one of your posts. Keep up these quality type of blog posts and I will be a regular

    ReplyDelete