Labels

Bluejackets (11) CBJ (11) Central Ohio (5) OSU (3) Browns (1) Concerts (1) Dispatch (1) Foo Fighters (1) Football (1) IT (1) NFL (1)

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Tech jobs in Central Ohio

Interesting article in the fishwrap today on the Tech sector and the lack of talent in Central Ohio to meet the demands. If you haven't read it, here is the link to the Dispatch article. This is a stark contrast to a couple of years ago when I know people who couldn't find a job to save thier life. And I would have to agree somewhat. Candidates that are out there are not the higer quality I saw 2-3 years ago, when there were people with 10-15 years experience looking for basic System Administrator jobs.

However, the media tends to paint the "Technology" sector with such a broad stroke that it can be decieving. When I look, I see a lot of software development, BA jobs, and other highly specialized areas. Infrastructure folks are still left out in the cold. Very few job openings exist on the Infrastructure side, and people tend to hold onto those jobs. And I don't see this trend declining. With the push towards the cloud, and shared infrastructure, I think the Infrastructure side of IT will see shrinking numbers in the next few years, or at least a shift from the customer to solution providors. I myself have considered a shift away from Infrastructure to a PM/BA type of role, because I see the writing on the wall.

How about my fellow geeks? Any thoughts of moving away from Infrastructure to a different specialty?

No comments:

Post a Comment